Sales to Restaurants and Institutions
Value-added groups involved in direct marketing may find that selling to restaurants and other institutions is a viable way to generate sales. However, as with most direct marketing outlets, there are special approaches and considerations of which you need to be aware. Restaurant and Institutional Sales provides you with practical ideas of how to approach this customer group. An Electronic Budgeting Tool is available to help you compare the returns from selling your produce to a restaurant or other institution, or though another direct marketing outlet.
For more information on this topic, see the links listed below of articles posted on related Web sites.
- Selling to Restaurants – Small Farm Center, University of California Extension -- The flood of new produce items has given top-notch chefs a whole new palette. Chefs are increasingly willing to buy directly from growers in order to find field-ripened vegetables and tree-ripened fruits that are difficult to purchase from distributors and purveyors.
- Sales to Restaurant and Specialty Food Stores – Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education -- Marketing strategies for farmers and ranchers to utilize in their pursuit of conducting business with restaurants and specialty food stores.
- Selling to Restaurants - "Sell What you Sow: A Guide to Successful Produce Marketing" -- Identifies advantages and disadvantages in selling to restaurants as well as helping to determine what to grow and how to maintain the business relationship.
- Bringing Local Food to Local People – National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service --This publication provides contact information and descriptions of existing programs that have made connections between local farmers and local school lunchrooms, college dining halls or cafeterias in other institutions.
- Food Service Terms – University of Rhode Island Extension.
Farm Retail Marketing
E-mail Marketing and Electronic Commerce
Other Direct Marketing Approaches
Food Markets – Direct Markets
Food Markets – Market Trends
Food Markets – Food Consumption Trends
Specific Commodity and Product Markets