Promoting Your Business is important for business success. A promotional activity is any activity that you use to let potential customers and the public know about your business and its products and/or services. Promotional Planning and knowing how to write promotional materials is an important skill for any entrepreneur.
Advertising is often the first things we think about when we talk about promotion. Although it is costly, advertising can be effective if done well and focused on the right audiences. But there are other tools that many businesses use that cost less and keep their name and image out where it needs to be.
Publicity is a form of free advertising. Using press releases to provide information to the media when something newsworthy happens involving your business or its products is an excellent way of promoting your business.
Public Relations involves managing the relationship between your company and its customers and the general public.
Sales promotion (i.e., coupons, discounts, etc.) are another method of promotion. Trade Shows are a method of promotion. Personal selling (i.e., direct marketing) is sometimes considered as another method of promotion.
Another aspect of promotion is the image projected by your business and its products/services. All written materials should reflect your Company Image. That probably means developing a logo, some preprinted stationery and a Web site.
A Company Web Site is usually initially designed initially to provide general information about your company and its product. It may evolve into an effective way of promoting your products. Eventually you may sell your product through the Web site.
To successfully promote your business, you may want to hone your Presentation Skills.
For more information on this topic, see the links listed below of articles posted on related Web sites.
- Promoting Your Business – Small Business Notes -- Promotion refers to marketing activities that create awareness of your business and/or product.
- How do I Develop Marketing Communications or a Sales Message – Urban Wallace Associates -- The key to developing a marketing or sales message for a brand is a well-thought-out strategy.
- Getting Noticed on a Shoestring – Mplans.com -- There are many ways to get your business noticed without spending a great deal of money; read this article to learn how.
- Promotion Plan – Small Business Notes -- So you have a product and have set your price. Will the world come running to your doorstep?
- Developing a Promotion Plan – Government of Alberta, Canada -- Creating an image and developing a promotional package are ways to show customers you mean business.
- Planning Promotional Programs – CCH Business Owner’s Toolkit -- Outlines the steps you need to take to create a comprehensive promotional game plan.
- Agricultural Business Strategies: Developing a Promotional Plan – Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Alberta, Canada -- This factsheet discusses how to create a product image and incorporate this image into a promotion package.
- Helpful Tips for Improving the Visual Appeal of Marketing Materials - Oklahoma State University Extension -- Following simple design rules will improve the impact of promotional and marketing materials.
Links checked July 2014.