Consultants and public sector support services can play an important role in the success of a value-added business venture. Surrounding yourself with the right mix of competent advisors and consultants can provide much needed expertise for your business decisions.
Consultants can provide knowledge of the industry or business development expertise. They can advise you on important decisions you will face in starting your business, conducting market assessments and feasibilities studies, doing due diligence analysis, assisting with your business plan, and many other activities. Don’t forget legal counsel and accountant advice as these are also critical to your success.
To help you find a consultant, visit AgMRC’s directory of Value-added Agricultural Consultant and Service Providers. To assist you in choosing a consultant, read Considerations When Selecting a Consultant. Another informative article is Selecting and Managing Consultants. For help in selecting a marketing research consultant, review Marketing Research – Finding the Best Consultant to Hire. An Overview of a Consulting Agreement is provided, along with a Sample Consultant Agreement.
We provide a listing of support services in each state and directories of USDA and related support services for individuals involved in value-added businesses. Agricultural Innovation Centers also provide support services for individuals involved in value-added businesses. In addition, a directory of value-added businesses is provided.
For more information on this topic, see the links listed below of articles posted on related Web sites.
Selecting a Consultant
- Considering Professional Consultation – University of Missouri Extension -- In community affairs there are occasions when it is advisable, or even necessary, for a government unit or a civic organization to use the services of professional consultants.
- Choosing a Consultant – Specialized Business Planning Services -- Properly selecting a consultant is not an easy task. However, the payoff of taking the time required to make a good choice can be worthwhile.
- Choosing Professionals to Assist You - CCH Business Owners Toolkit -- Nearly every small business owner will need the assistance of an accountant, attorney, banker, and insurance agent at one time or another. Some also hire a management or marketing consultant.
- Choosing a Consultant: An Investment in your Agricultural Business – Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Alberta, Canada -- Consultants can provide an objective, unbiased view of your business and their recommendations may improve the viability and profitability your business or an opportunity you are considering.
Directories of Consultants
- Names of Consultants - BizFin.com.