Flax production in the United States occurs in North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Minnesota. In 2012, total U.S. flax production was nearly 5.8 million bushels valued at nearly $78.3 million. The marketing year average price for flax was $13.60 per bushel in 2012. (NASS)
About 95 percent of the flax was grown in North Dakota, which planted 315,000 acres in 2012. Flax production in the state totaled nearly 5.5 million bushels. (NASS) September 2013 ... Flax
- Ameriflax - Trade organization that represents North Dakota flax producers.
- Crop Production Annual Summary, National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), USDA.
- Crop Values Annual Summary, NASS, USDA.
- Flax: Bushels of Promise, Ag Innovation News, Agricultural Utilization Research Institute, 2003 - This newspaper provides a flax market overview and identifies four general areas of opportunity: nutraceuticals, omega-3 eggs, industrial uses and livestock feed.
- Flax Council of Canada - Provides background information about food products, nutrition, suppliers, research, statistics and history of the flax industry.
- Flax Fiber for Value-Added Bio-Based Products, Quality Assessment Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service (ARS), USDA - Project highlight on flax fiber.
- Flax Fiber Has New International Standards, ARS, USDA, 2005 - This article provides information on new standards for flax fiber.
- Flax Fiber Offers Cotton Cool Comfort, ARS, USDA, 2005 - This news article highlights research regarding using flax in denim.
- Global Agricultural Trade System (GATS), Foreign Ag Service, USDA.
- National Non-Food Crops Centre, York, United Kingdom - Flax is being studied for its insulation properties.
- A new and old crop for the Midwest, New Farm, 2004 - This article highlights the Iowa flax project.
- Prairie Fare: Some Facts about Flax, North Dakota State University, 2001 - This article provides information about the market potential for flax, especially flaxseed.
- Flax: Alternative Field Crops Manual, University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota, 1997 - This joint publication provides production and marketing information as well as economic and historical information of flax.
- Flax Institute of the United States - This informational resource provides contacts for seed and other resources, such as annual institute proceedings and related information.
- Flax Page, North Dakota State University - Provides information for the grower, consumer and researcher about flaxseed oil, meal and fiber.
- Flax Production in North Dakota, North Dakota State University, 2007 - This publication covers production information and statistics for flax production in North Dakota.
- Flaxseed: Health Food for Feeder Cattle, Kansas State University, 2005 - Supplementing beef cattle rations with ground flaxseed consistently boosts Omega 3 fatty acid levels in beef.
- Grower Experiences with Flax and Linola in Eastern Washington, 1997-2000, Washington State University for Western Region Sustainable Agriculture and Research Education (SARE), 2001 - This publication examines the production, marketing and grower experiences associated with flax in the North and Northwestern United States.
- Oil Crops Outlook, Economic Research Service, USDA.
- Using Flax in Livestock Diets, North Dakota State University Extension, 2005 - Flax can serve as a useful source of nutrients for most livestock because it is high in protein and an excellent source of energy and essential fatty acids.
- American Natural Soy, Cherokee, Iowa - This company toll processes organic soybean and flax seed into oil and meal. They also organically refine, bleach and deodorize (RBD) canola, sunflower and safflower oils. Product is shipped all over the world.
- Flax Farmer Profiles, The New American Farmer, SARE, USDA - Provides profiles of three producers, in Minnesota, Montana and North Dakota, who raise flax.
- Golden Flax 4U, Inc, Goodrich, North Dakota - This company buys premium-quality golden flaxseed produced by North Dakota farmers and then contracts locally to have the flaxseed cleaned and packaged.
Links checked November 2013.