Photo courtesy of USDA NRCS.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, wind energy is the world’s fastest-growing energy technology. The United States currently has 46,916 megawatts of wind-generating capacity. April 2012 ... Wind
- Community Wind, Windustry - This site has tools and resources for use in developing a community wind project.
- Database of State Incentives for Renewable Energy; Interstate Renewable Energy Council, North Carolina Solar Center and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
- Federal Incentives/Policies for Renewables and Efficiency; Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency; Interstate Renewable Energy Council, North Carolina Solar Center and U.S. DOE - Provides an overview of the 30 percent federal tax credit for homeowners who install wind turbines.
- Global Wind Energy, Global Wind Energy Council - This site provides global wind statistics.
- Harvesting Clean Energy - This site provides resources for rural landowners in Washington, Oregon, Montana and Idaho.
- Harvesting the Wind, University of North Dakota, 2003 - A landowners’ guide to wind energy development in the Great Plains.
- International Wind Energy Marketplace - This commercial site provides information and marketplace information for wind systems.
- Landowner Wind Associations, Rocky Mountain Farmers Union - This is a cooperative development model for large industrial energy development.
- The Law of Wind: A Guide to Business and Legal Issues, Stoel Rives Wind Team, 2009.
- National Wind Coordinating Committee - Publications, resources and technical assistance are available from this site.
- On-Farm Renewable Energy Production Survey (2009), 2007 Census of Agriculture, National Ag Statistics Service, USDA, 2011 - This energy survey was the first on-farm renewable energy production survey conducted at the national level. The survey provides additional information on energy produced by wind turbines, solar panels and methane digesters that were in operation on farms in 2009. Detailed data includes the installation cost, percent of cost from outside funding, year installed and total amount of utility savings from the use of on-farm renewable energy production.
- Renewable Energy. Wind Power’s Contribution to Electric Power Generation and Impact on Farms and Rural Communities, GAO Report, 2004.
- Small Wind Electric Systems. A U.S. Consumer’s Guide, U.S. DOE - This 27-page guide provides wind energy information to help consumers decide if it will work for them.
- Small Wind Makes a Comeback In Rural America, Market to Market, Iowa Public Television, 2009 - According to the American Wind Energy Association, the U.S. wind industry accounted for 42 percent of new electricity generation installed in 2008.
- Small Wind Turbine Global Market Study 2007, American Wind Energy Association - This study looks at the growth and challenges facing wind-powered electric systems with 100 kilowatts or less.
- State and Territory Energy Offices, National Association of State Energy Officials - This site links to individual state department of energy offices.
- Wind Assessment Study, Iowa Energy Center - This Center created an online wind assessment tool for Iowans to use to learn of potential electricity production at a given site and to determine the proper size of wind turbine.
- Wind Energy Research and Development Businesses in the World - This commercial site has searches available for wind energy products by type, by location and by name.
- Wind Energy Resource Atlas of the United States, U.S. DOE - This online atlas estimates wind energy for the United States.
- Wind Program, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, U.S. DOE - This site links to state wind maps and installed wind capacity.
- Wind Farmers Network, Windustry's - This is a discussion forum for those interested in wind energy to share information and ideas about resources, economics, technology and project development.
- Wind Powering America, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, U.S. DOE - This site offers state wind maps and small wind consumer’s guides.
- Wind Web Tutorial, American Wind Energy Association.
- Wind Wisdom, Corn and Soybean Digest, 2012 - Five questions to ask before you sign a wind-energy lease.
- American Wind Energy Association - This trade association represents those involved in the wind industry.
- An Uncertain Wind Stirs, Farm Journal, 2009 - Local investors try to join the rush in wind energy.
- Co-generation Using Wind and Biodiesel - Powered Generators, University of Minnesota, 2005.
- Does Wind Power Make Sense for You? An overview, Iowa REC News, Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives, 2003.
- Does Wind Power Make Sense for You? Details, Iowa REC News, Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives, 2003.
- Farming the Wind: Wind Power and Agriculture, Union of Concerned Scientists - This fact sheet reviews how to work with wind developers, owning a turbine, typical turbine expenses and selling excess electricity.
- How a Wind Turbine System Works (graphic), Iowa REC News, Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives, 2003.
- Know Your Economics, Windustry - This page outlines the risks, costs and benefits involved with a wind energy project.
- Landowner Guidelines for Evaluating Wind Energy Production Contracts, Michigan State University, 2008 - This document, written for Michigan, is designed to help landowners consider important issues that should be addressed in a wind energy contract.
- Landowner Guidelines for Evaluating Wind Energy Production Leases, Michigan State University, 2008.
- National Wind Technology Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) - This site offers wind resource maps for all 50 states and the 79-page Wind Resource Assessment Handbook.
- Negotiating Wind Energy Property Agreements, Farmers' Legal Action Group (FLAG), 2007.
- 10 Steps in Building a Wind Farm, American Wind Energy Association.
- Wind Energy, ATTRA, NCAT - This site has several wind energy publications linked online.
- Wind Energy Easements. Legal Issues, Windustry - This document outlines questions to consider with an attorney when approached by a wind energy developer.
- Wind Energy Manual, Iowa Energy Center - By selecting links at the bottom of the screen, information is available on such topics as wind energy systems and components, wind speed and measurement, legal, social and environmental issues, economics and how to make a decision.
- Wind Energy Production: Legal Issues and Related Liability Concerns for Landowners in Iowa and Across the Nation, Center for Ag Law and Taxation, 2009.
- Wind Energy Projects Throughout the United States, American Wind Energy Association - This site is a map of existing and planned wind energy projects by state.
- Wind Farm Area Calculator, NREL.
- Wind Power for America: Rural Electric Utilities Harvest New Crop, NREL, U.S. DOE, 2002.
- Wind Power in the United States: Technology, Economic, and Policy Issues, Congressional Research Service, 2008.
- Wind Turbine Economic Feasibility Calculator Protocol & Household Electricity Use Estimation Sheet, Center for Rural Pennsylvania.
- Crosswind Energy LLC - Ten producers in northwest Iowa banded together to explore the ideas of erecting turbines on their farms.
- Economic Development Impacts of Wind Power, National Wind Coordinating Committee.
- Falling in Love with Wind, OnEarth, 2007 - This feature story tells how New York dairy farmers were convinced to milk wind instead of cows.
- Kas Brothers, Woodstock, Minnesota - The Kas family is farming the wind. With over 17 modern wind turbines on their land, they generate enough electricity to power 4,300 households.
- Olde Chautauqua Farm, Small Wind Program, New York State Energy Research and Development Authority - Open to the general public for U-pick fruits or vegetables, this New York farm is using wind power to generate electricity.
- Owning a PV/Wind Hybrid System: Being Your Own Utility, Wisconsin Focus on Energy, 2003 - Instead of extending an electric line from the local utility, a Wisconsin couple installed a photovoltaics and wind system to power their residence.
- Wind and Sun and Farm-Based Energy Sources, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, 2006 - A renewable energy update.
- Wind Energy Makes Environmental and Economic Sense for Two Pork Producers, Iowa State University Extension, 2009 - Two southeast Iowa pork producers are making wind energy work for them.
- Windfall of Energy Savings, Corn and Soybean Digest, 2010 - A grower banks on wind to reduce energy costs.
- Wind Feasibility Report for Colorado Livestock Operations, Brink Inc., 2008 - This study examines the economic feasibility of utilizing wind energy to generate electricity at three livestock operations in Colorado.
- Wind Power Special, Rural Cooperatives magazine, USDA, 2007.
- Wind Power: Windfall for Rural America?, Rural Cooperatives magazine, USDA, 2007, posted by Farmenergy.org/ - Advanced technology enables Illinois electric co-op to tap into wind power.
Links checked April 2012.