Meat goats are regarded as an affordable livestock enterprise and are in demand. According to NASS (2013), meat goats totaled 2.3 million head in January 2013, down 2 percent from 2012. Meat goat inventory has declined since 2009.
Texas leads the nation in meat goat production with about 40 percent of all meat goat inventory, followed by Tennessee. Oklahoma, California and Missouri are also significant producers of meat goats.
USDA does not track U.S. goat consumption. Domestic consumption is centered in areas where goat meat is a traditional staple. Goat meat (cabrito and chevon) is rarely seen in mainstream grocery stores because of limited, variable and inconsistent supplies. It is also more expensive than poultry and other red meats. April 2013 ... Meat Goats
- American Boer Goat Association - This association represents producers of one of the primary meat goat breeds.
- Assessment of the Meat Goat Industry and Future Outlook for U.S. Small Farms, Tuskegee University, 2007 - In this report, Dr. Sandra Solaiman of Tuskegee reviews the current status of meat goats in the world and the meat goat industry in the United States to determine its future. Using USDA, U.S. Census Bureau and FAO resources, she confirms that U.S. meat goat production has been gaining popularity because of a growing population of ethnic and faith-based groups who consume goat meat.
- Descriptions of Major Ethnic Holidays with Goat Meat Specifications - This sheet summarizes religious holidays, and the type and size of goat desired.
- Development in Ohio’s Meat Goat Industry, Ohio State University - This link includes results of the Ohio Moslem Consumers Meat Purchase and Consumption Patterns Study conducted by the University of Dayton.
- Emerging Goat Meat Industry in Australia, Foreign Agricultural Service, GAIN Report, USDA, 2005 - Australia is regarded as the world’s largest exporter of goat meat.
- Goat Industry Outlook, eXtension.
- Goat Market Prices, Ag Marketing Service, USDA - Select Market News on the left side of the screen. Then select Livestock, then Goats.
- Goat Rancher magazine - This magazine for the commercial goat industry offers links to the current goat market reports from across the country.
- Illini SheepNet & Meat GoatNet, University of Illinois.
- Increasing profitability: Building consumer preference for chevon through education and outreach, J. Dietz-Band and S. Schoenian, Northeast SARE Annual Report, 2008 - During this project, Many Rocks Farm concentrated on economically producing a quality meat product. They obtained a farm processing license from the state of Maryland and partnered with a USDA-inspected meat processor to offer vacuum-packed frozen goat meat cuts, as well as five different types of goat meat sausage, and original recipe, pre-seasoned goat meat patties for direct sales.
- Iowa Meat Goat Association - This organization is comprised of farms, individuals and families from across Iowa and neighboring states.
- The Market for Goat Meat in Siouxland, Iowa State University, 2006 - This study examined the consumer demand for fresh goat meat in northwest Iowa.
- Marketing Directory, Sheep and Goat Marketing Project - This online directory lists feeders, live animal markets, auctions, dealers, haulers and processors primarily located on the East Coast.
- Marketing Goat to Restaurants, eXtension, 2011.
- Market Opportunities for Meat Goats, The Strategic Marketing Institute, Michigan State University, 2006 - While intended for Michigan producers, this paper analyzes the market opportunities for goat meat and identifies possible contacts for producers, cooperatives and other organizations interested in selling the meat. The paper highlights the increasing demand for goat meat among Hispanics and Muslims.
- National Pygmy Goat Association
- North Carolina Meat Goat Producers, Inc - This producer cooperative was founded by 40 meat goat producers in Franklin County, North Carolina. Sale items include Halal (Muslim-blessed) goat meat.
- Producing and Selling Sheep and Goats to the Ethnic/Religious Meat Markets, Maryland Cooperative Extension, 2005 - This site outlines the possible ethnic markets and marketing channels.
- Sheep and Goats, National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), USDA.
- Goat from Farm to Table, FSIS, USDA, 2008 - With the emerging popularity of Caribbean and Indian cuisine in America, goat meat is being used increasingly. Goats are under mandatory USDA inspection.
- Meat Goat Selection, Carcass Evaluation and Fabrication, Louisiana State University Ag Center, 2006 - This manual includes information on live meat goat evaluation, measuring carcass traits and standardizing cutting procedures for goat carcasses.
- Feeding Management of a Meat Goat Herd, Tuskegee University, Alabama, 2006.
- GoatWorld.com 911 - An emergency contact list of names and phone numbers or e-mail addresses. Experienced goat producers in the United States and other countries share their expertise.
- Meat and Other Goats: 2007 Inventory, 2007 Census of Agriculture, NASS, USDA, 2009.
- Meat Goat Production, Pennsylvania State University, 2000.
- Meat Goat Production and Budgeting, Ohio State University Fact Sheet, 2002.
- Meat Goat Quality Assurance Program, E. (Kika) de la Garza American Institute for Goat Research, Langston University, Oklahoma - This program provides guidelines for goat producers on how to ensure the quality of animals produced.
- Meat Goats, North Carolina Cooperative Extension, 2002 - This site features production and management information.
- Meat Goats: Sustainable Production, Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA), NCAT, 2006 - This is an overview of how to establish a meat goat business. Includes two case studies.
- A Sustainable Year-Round Forage System for Goat Production in the Southern USA, Tuskegee University and Auburn University, 2006 - This project developed a sustainable forage system especially suited to limited resource producers.
- Outlook for a Small Farm Meat Goat Industry for California, University of California Small Farm Center, Davis, revised 2006 - This outlook examines the meat goat industry for the United State and California.
- Sample Costs for a Meat Goat Operation, University of California Cooperative Extension, 2010.
- Web-based Training and Certification Program for Meat Goat Producers, Langston University, Oklahoma - This comprehensive course/resource takes a producer through production, farm business planning and marketing.
- Cleaning up with Goats, Beef magazine, 2006 - Missouri cattle producer bought meat goats to improve his cattle pastures and ended up generating a second income from selling kids.
Links checked August 2014.