Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum), thought to have originated in China, was planted as early as 5,000 or 6,000 years ago. Today, China and Russia are the largest producers of buckwheat, or kasha, the name used for the crop in Eastern Europe.
Buckwheat remains a minor crop in the United States. Around 25,000 acres of buckwheat are planted each year. February 2013 ... Buckwheat
- ARDI Nurtures Buckwheat Breakthrough, Agri-Food Research and Development Initiative, Canada, 2007 - Buckwheat research and development projects supported by the Canadian Agri-Food Research and Development Initiative are positioning Manitoba growers to capitalize on the lucrative Japanese market through improved end-use characteristics, demonstrated health benefits and better agronomics.
- Buckwheat, Food and Ag Organization (FAO), United Nations, 2011.
- Buckwheat Growers Association of Minnesota - Local Minnesota growers organized a farmer-owned and farmer-operated cooperative in 1997.
- Global Ag Trade System, Foreign Ag Service, USDA.
- Marketing Opportunities for Grain Amaranth and Buckwheat Growers in Missouri, Ag Marketing Service, USDA, 2003.
- Minn-Dak Growers, Ltd. - A North-Dakota-based specialty crops marketing company.
- Buckwheat, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Buckwheat, Cooperative Extension Service, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2002.
- Buckwheat, Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives, Canada.
- Buckwheat, Ontario MInistry of Agriculture and Food, Canada.
- Buckwheat, Thomas Jefferson Agricultural Institute, Columbia, Missouri - This online article provides a production guide, cover crop guide and cost-return crop budget for double-crop buckwheat. Contact information for some buckwheat seed dealers is also provided at the website.
- Buckwheat for Cover Cropping in Organic Farming, eXtension, 2009.
- Buckwheat Information, Canadian Special Crops Association.
- Buckwheat Information, Cornell University.
- Buckwheat Production, North Dakota State University Extension, 2006.
- Buckwheat Production: Harvesting, Cornell University Cooperative Extension, 2010 - This fact sheet covers harvesting techniques.
- Buckwheat Production: Planting, Cornell University Cooperative Extension, 2010.
- Common Buckwheat, Alberta Agriculture and Rural Develioment, Canada.
- Guide to Buckwheat Production in the Northeast, Cornell University, 2002.
- Birkett Mills, Penn Yan, New York - Producer of buckwheat products and an organic buckwheat buyer.
- Bouchard Family Farm Fort Kent, Maine - To save the family farm, the Bourchards developed a packaged mix for ployes, a French Acadian flat bread made from buckwheat.
- Buckwheat Growers of Illinois, Sustainability in action, 2003.
Links checked January 2013.