Total U.S. carrot production for the fresh and processing markets was valued at nearly $642.8 million in 2012. The value of fresh carrots dropped from more than $711.1 million in 2011 to more than $609.5 million. The value of carrots used for processing increased from more than $29.0 million in 2011 to more than $33.2 million in 2012. May 2013 ... Carrots
- Carrots, Vegetables, National Ag Statistics Service (NASS), USDA.
- Global Agricultural Trade System (GATS), Foreign Ag Service (FAS), USDA.
- Umbelliferae Improvement Newsletter, Ag Research Service, USDA.
- Vegetables and Pulses, Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA.
- Vegetables and Pulses Yearbook, ERS, USDA.
- Vegetables Annual Summary, NASS, USDA.
- Postharvest Handling & Food Safety, North Florida Research & Education Center, University of Florida - Handling and cooling of fresh produce has become an essential step for successful operations. This series of links covers SDA Grading standards, food safety recommendations, postharvest cooling and handling, and links to packer newsletters and similar resources.
- United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Association - The mission of this association is to promote the growth and success of produce companies and their partners. United is the national trade organization that represents the interests of growers, shippers, processors, brokers, wholesalers and distributors of produce.
- U.S. Standards of Carrot Grades, Purdue University - The U.S. standards for the following types of carrots are available as downloadable files: Bunched carrots, topped carrots, carrots with short trimmed tops and carrots for processing (USDA-AMS).
- Carrot Production in California, Vegetable Research & Information Center, University of California, 2008.
- Carrot Production in Washington State, Washington State University - This PowerPoint presentation reviews Washington state carrot production figures, pest and disease problems and weed control information.
- Carrots, Vegetable Crop Management, University of Minnesota Extension.
- Carrot Seed, North Florida Research & Education Center, University of Florida - National sources for carrot and other vegetable seeds.
- Fact Sheet: Carrots, Cornell University - These pages provide integrated pest management recommendations, disease scouting information, plant spacing and varietal information, soil analysis and fertility studies. A number of useful links and addresses to resource contacts are provided.
- Bolthouse Farms - Example of a major producer, from whole carrots to juice. The site contains information on their products and company philosophy.
- Carrots to the Core, Rodale Institute, 2004 - Iowa organic farmer finds his niche with a favorite vegetable.
- Grimmway Farms, Bakersfield, California - Another example of a major producer, from whole carrots to baby carrots to coins and juice. The site contains information on their products, kosher certifications, food safety monitoring and company philosophy.
Links checked January 2013.