Total food-away-from-home expenditures in 2011 were $641 billion. Foodservice is categorized as commercial and noncommercial. Commercial foodservice includes fast food and full-service restaurants. According to the Economic Research Service, commercial foodservice accounted for about 77 percent of the food-away-from-home expenditures.
Noncommercial outlets prepare and serve meals as a support service to institutions and educational settings including schools, hospitals, nursing homes and child care centers. This segment accounted for about 23 percent of all food-away-from-home expenditures. All foodservice outlets compete with other food retail outlets including supermarkets and convenience stores to sell ready-to-eat products to consumers.
Food Service, Food Marketing System in the U.S., Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA.
Food CPI and Expenditures, ERS, USDA.
Commercial – Restaurants
Noncommercial – School Foodservice, Hotels, Institutions
- American School Food Service Association - This professional, nonprofit association is devoted exclusively to protecting and enhancing children’s health and well being through school meals and sound nutrition education.
- Association for Healthcare Foodservice - A professional society dedicated to professionals and suppliers in the self-operated healthcare foodservice industry.
- The Center for Hospitality Research, Cornell University.
- Farm to School, Occidental College - This program helps link local food sources to schools.
- Food Management - This publication provides ideas and food trends for those in the noncommercial foodservice industry.
- Hotel Online - A site devoted to hospitality and hotel industry information.
- Institute of Hospitality, formerly the Hotel and Catering International Management Association.
- International Hotel and Restaurant Association - A global network of independent and chain operators, national associations, hospitality suppliers and educational centers in the hotel and restaurant industry.
- Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues; ERS, USDA, 2010 - This comprehensive overview of local food systems explores alternative definitions of local food, estimates market size and reach, describes the characteristics of local consumers and producers, and examines early indications of the economic and health impacts of local food systems.
- National Association of College and University Food Services - This is the trade association for foodservice professionals at higher education institutions located in the United States, Canada and abroad.
- AgMRC-Developed Information
- Food Industry Trade Shows, Ag Marketing Resource Center, Iowa State University - Complete listing of national and international food trade shows to attend and/or showcase new food products to retailers and foodservice industry contacts.
- Other Information
- Advance Monthly Sales for Retail and Food Services, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fast Casual, Fast Casual.com - Ideas and trends for the fast casual restaurant. This site has a Top 100 section for different restaurant segments.
- Food Ingredients First - A portal for unique content on food and beverage development.
- Food Spending in American Households, 2003-04, ERS, USDA, 2007 - This study reviews at-home and away-from-home food spending by U.S. urban households.
- Hot Restaurant Menu Trends for 2013, Nation's Restaurant News, October 17, 2012.
- Top Food Trends at MUFSO 2012, Nation's Restaurant News, October 2, 2012.
- Links to Other Sites
- Institute for Grocery Distribution - This organization provides research and information for the food industry in the United Kingdom and international. It offers publications and research reports and retail and consumer trends for a fee.
- Progressive Grocer - This publication covers the food retailing industry. It reports daily news on the homepage.
Links checked November 2012.