Branded Food Products
- Farmer-Owned Brands?, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD), Iowa State University, 2003 - This paper discusses the possibility of creating brands for Midwestern food products.
- Geographical Indications, Property Rights and Value-added Agriculture, CARD, Iowa State University, 2003 - What do Vidalia onions, Wisconsin cheese and Kona coffee have that feta cheese, champagne and cognac do not? The first three products have trademark protection for their brand names (in this case, through U.S. trademark law). The latter three have no brand name protection but that could change.
- Brand Features – Profile, Brandchannel.com - This site offers an ongoing series of profiles describing the history behind selected national brands.
- Branded Produce: Potential Impacts on the Food System, ACTA Horticulture.
- Cornell University Food & Brand Lab - Independently funded research focuses on better understanding consumers and how they relate to foods and packaged foods.
- The Geography of Flavor, Washington Post, 2007 - This article discusses place-based foods and the concept of place in ag sales.
- Store Brands Again Outpace National Brands, Private Label Manufacturers Association, 2010.
- Trends in the Marketing of Fresh Produce and Fresh-cut Products, Roberta Cook, Agricultural Issues Center, University of California, 2007.
- Weighing Incentives for Food Safety in Meat and Poultry, Amber Waves, USDA, 2003 - This article tells why producers of branded products invest more in food safety than those with unbranded products.
- What are Store Brands? Private Label Manufacturers Association.
Links to Other Sites
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - Mandates of labeling food products outlined by the USDA.
Links checked November 2012.