a national information resource for value-added agriculture
Agricultural Marketing Resource Center


Total food-away-from-home expenditures in 2011 were $641 billion. Foodservice is categorized as commercial and noncommercial. Commercial foodservice includes fast food and full-service restaurants. According to the Economic Research Service, commercial foodservice accounted for about 77 percent of the food-away-from-home expenditures.

Noncommercial outlets prepare and serve meals as a support service to institutions and educational settings including schools, hospitals, nursing homes and child care centers. This segment accounted for about 23 percent of all food-away-from-home expenditures. All foodservice outlets compete with other food retail outlets including supermarkets and convenience stores to sell ready-to-eat products to consumers.

Food Service, Food Marketing System in the U.S., Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA.

Food CPI and Expenditures, ERS, USDA.


Commercial – Restaurants

Noncommercial – School Foodservice, Hotels, Institutions

Foodservice/Retail Trends

  • Links to Other Sites
    • Institute for Grocery Distribution - This organization provides research and information for the food industry in the United Kingdom and international. It offers publications and research reports and retail and consumer trends for a fee.
    • Progressive Grocer - This publication covers the food retailing industry. It reports daily news on the homepage.

Links checked November 2012.


USDA Rural DevelopmentPartially Funded by USDA Rural Development
...and justice for all.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Many materials can be made available in alternative formats for ADA clients. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964.

Iowa State University

The names, words, symbols, and graphics representing Iowa State University are trademarks and copyrights of the university, protected by trademark and copyright laws of the U.S. and other countries.