Iowa Local Food Programs
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals Food and Consumer Safety Bureau - Processing applications and inspections of food processing plants and food establishments.
- Buy Fresh Buy Local - Aa marketing program for farmers selling directly to consumers, grocery stores and other institutions.
- Drake University Agriculture Law Center, Greater Des Moines Buy Fresh Buy Local Campaign - Local and state food policy.
- Edible Iowa River Valley - A seasonal magazine dedicated to recognizing, preserving and revitalizing the flavors of the Heartland.
- Grow Your Small Market Farm TM Network - Farmer-led fruit and vegetable processing.
- Iowa Farm to School Program - Local chapters throughout the state help to connect the local food network with local students.
- Iowa Food Policy Council - Develops and recommends policy and programming for food system that supports healthier Iowans, communities, economies and environments.
- Iowa Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association - Supports research and educational opportunities for fruit and vegetable growers.
- Iowa Network for Community Agriculture - Creates connections among Iowans to create healthy, fair and sustainable local food systems.
- Iowa State University Department of Horticulture - Education programs for small acreage farmers and promotes fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Iowa State University University Extension - Small Farm Sustainability - Holds workshops dealing with sustainable farming, farmers' market vendors/managers and rotational grazing.
- Iowa State University Families Extension - Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management - Research, presentations and publications related to use of locally sourced foods by retail food service establishments.
- Iowa State University Organic Agriculture Program - Assist producers, processors and marketers in recommendations for organic ag and local food production.
- Iowa State University Value Added Agriculture Program - Provide leadership and vision for value-added agriculture education and business development.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture - Support education, conduct research and assist in developing alternative practices.
- Practical Farmers of Iowa - Horticulture clusters and production programming, field days, on-farm research and demonstrations.
- County of Marshall Investing in Diversified Agriculture (COMIDA) - Organizes community-wide local food discussions, develops and implements beginning farmer training program.
- Grinnell Area Local Foods Alliance (GALFA) - Publishes directory of local food producers who market locally.
- Hometown Harvest of Southeast Iowa - Producers surveys, producer and public outreach and education, promoting local family farms.
- Iowa Valley Regional Food Initiative (I-Food) - Research regional local food needs and resources, and develop a sustainable regional food plan.
- ISU Dining- Farm to ISU and Buy Fresh Buy Local Central Iowa - ISU Dining's initiative to increase its purchases of local sustainable and organic foods.
- Johnson County Local Food Alliance, - Fosters a more local, more sustainable food economy in Johnson and surrounding counties.
- Local Foods Connections, South central and Southeast Iowa - Working to make locally made healthy food available to low-income communities and learn how to best prepare fresh food for the most health benefits.
- Northeast Iowa Farm & Food Coalition - Plans and partners with local organizations and food producers to provide and promote a variety of seasonal workshops for the region.
- Northern Iowa Food & Farm Partnership - Supports the development of a local and regional food economy that positively impacts local farmers, consumers and businesses through education, collaboration and economic development.
- Slow Food Iowa City, Eastern Iowa - Trying to reconnect the consumers with the people and traditions and resources that produce our food.
- Southwest Iowa Food and Farm Initiative (SWIFFI) - Building a sustainable regional food system linking production, distribution and consumption for better health, food security and economic development.
Developed October 2009.