- Getting Prepared
- Starting a Business
- Operating a Business
- Business Strategy and Analysis
- Business Workbench
A marketing plan is a critical part of a business plan. It is often created as a separate document.
The revenue for your business comes from its customers. So, your business must serve a customer need – and serve it well enough to be paid. The interface between a company’s products and the customer are critical to the success of the business.
Doing the marketing research required for a comprehensive marketing plan can provide a business with a clear understanding of the needs and demands of the customer. It can also identify the best potential markets and find the most effective and efficient means of getting its products to these markets.
For more information on this topic, see the links listed below of articles posted on related Web sites.
Understanding Marketing Plans
- Developing and Implementing a Successful Marketing Plan – Purdue University Extension -- Helps anyone interested in developing a business or investing in a business learn several key points on marketing.
- Marketing Plan – Small Business Notes -- A marketing plan helps you establish, direct and coordinate your marketing efforts.
- Building a Successful Marketing Plan -- CCH Business Owners Toolkit -- A good marketing plan summarizes the who, what, where, when and how much questions of company marketing and sales activities for the planning year.
- Marketing Plan – Small Business Administration -- A sound marketing plan should include your market research, your location, the customer group you have targeted, your competition, positioning, the product or service you are selling, pricing, advertising and promotion.
- Marketing Plan – Businessplans.org -- Concepts addressed include 'generic' strategies and strategies for pricing, distribution, promotion, advertising and market segmentation.
- What are the Key Issues to be Covered in my Marketing Plan – Urban Wallace Associates -- A marketing plan is a request for funds and a commitment to deliver specific amounts of revenue, unit volume and profit in return.
- Marketing Plan Glossary – About.com
- Outline for a Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- This standard plan is a good starting point.
- The Essential Contents of a Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- Each company's marketing plan is unique. But, there are some absolutely essential standard components that your plan ought to contain.
- Marketing Plan Tables – Mplans.com -- Be sure to include these four essential tables as part of your marketing plan.
Writing a Marketing Plan
- Write a Simple Marketing Plan – Entrepreneur.com -- 5 steps to a simple, concise plan that will get your marketing efforts on the right track.
- The Ingredients of a Marketing Plan – Entrepreneur.com -- Ready to get it all down on paper but not sure where to put it? We'll help you with the format and elements of your marketing plan.
Sample Marketing Plans
- Produce Farm Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- Mixed Greens Salad Gardens (MG) is a local producer of salad field greens. MG serves both the consumer market, as well as local restaurants.
- Bed and Breakfast – Vineyard Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- The Enchanted Vineyard is a charming bed & breakfast located in the Lorane Valley, outside of Eugene, Oregon. The valley is well known for its beauty and concentration of vineyards and wineries.
- Catering Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- Fressen Catering is a kosher catering company that serves the Philadelphia market.
- E-commerce Retail Marketing Plan – Mplans.com (charge item) -- Nature's Candy is an e-commerce retailer of naturopathic and homeopathic nutritional supplements.
- Energy Conversion Marketing Plan – Mplans.com (charge item) -- Good Earth Resources will build and operate facilities for energy generation from garbage processing and recycling.
- Public Relations Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- This marketing plan is for PRfect Greens, a public relations agency specializing in environmental PR, representing companies in industries which are not typically seen as environmentally friendly.
- Restaurant – Pasta Marketing Plan – Mplans.com -- Sigmund's Gourmet Pasta will be the leading gourmet pasta restaurant in Eugene, Oregon, with a rapidly developing consumer brand and growing customer base.
Links checked July 2014.