In the United States, Christmas trees are an important part of Christian Christmas celebrations and of the national winter holiday.
Christmas trees have been commercially sold in the United States since about 1850, when most were cut from forests. Midway through the last century, tree farms began to appear, and now most Christmas trees are grown on farms. November 2013 ... Christmas Trees
National, Regional and State Christmas Tree Associations
National Christmas Tree Association
New Hampshire and Vermont
Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington)
Southern (Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi)
New Hampshire Christmas Tree Promotion Board
- Census of Horticultural Specialties (2009), National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), USDA, 2010 - The census provides the only comprehensive, detailed data on U.S. floriculture, nursery and specialty crop production at the national and state levels. It provides such information as the number and types of establishments, value of sales, varieties of products and cut Christmas trees sold.
- Christmas Tree Marketing, Alternative Agricultural Enterprises, University of Minnesota, in cooperation with the University of Idaho Cooperative Extension Service, 1992.
- Christmas Trees magazine, Kansas - This print publication has provided relevant information to the live Christmas tree industry for over 35 years. The site contains facts about the real tree industry and information for children including the Christmas Tree Education Kit that explains life on a real Christmas Tree Farm. Other resources include stand management information for wholesale and retail Christmas tree growers.
- Global Agricultural Trade System (GATS), FAS, USDA.
- National Christmas Tree Association - This association represents the growers of trees and greens and of related product producers who support the holiday season.
- Selection and Care of Christmas Trees, Virginia Tech University Cooperative Extension, 1996 - The Christmas tree industry participates in agricultural marketing programs.
- Selling Christmas Trees to Mexico, GAIN Report, Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS), USDA, 2004 - The Mexican market for U.S. Christmas trees was over $9 million in 2003. The market for imported Christmas trees is growing, and the United States enjoys a 95 percent import market share.
- United States Standards for Grades of Christmas Trees, Ag Marketing Service, USDA, 1989.
- Yankee Woodlot: Christmas Tree Marketing, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 1998 - Maximize return from Christmas tree culture by developing a marketing plan to help achieve business goals.
- Alternative Enterprise Budget: Christmas Trees, Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture and ISU Beginning Farmer Center, 2010 - This publication is designed to give producers an idea about alternative enterprises that might work in their operation with regard to level of knowledge, capital and other factors.
- Christmas Tree Budgets, Ohio State University - This site offers sample budgets for pine and single leaf conifer trees.
- Christmas Tree Economics: Establishing and Producing Douglas-Fir Christmas Trees in Western Oregon, Oregon State University Extension Service, 2009.
- Christmas Tree Economics: Establishing and Producing Noble Fir Christmas Trees in Western Oregon, Oregon State University Extension Service, 2009.
- Christmas Tree Farm Network - A directory of Christmas tree farms across the United States.
- Christmas Trees, North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension - Various publications covering shaping, retail merchandising, and pests for Christmas tree operations.
- Christmas Tree publications, Virginia Cooperative Extension, 1997 - Ten publications available online including Economics of Producing an Acre of White Pine Christmas Trees.
- Christmas Trees and More, University of Illinois Extension.
- Christmas Trees Fact Sheets, Rutgers University Extension, New Jersey, 2006 - Five fact sheets including Sources of Christmas Tree Growing Stock.
- Growing Christmas Trees in North Carolina, North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, North Carolina State University, 1997 - This publication provides basic information to assist individuals in growing Christmas trees. It attempts to address the wide range of production, marketing, and business issues that may be encountered.
- Growing Christmas Trees in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon State University, revised 2003.
- Integrated Pest Management in Christmas Tree Production, Michigan State University, 1996 - Available in Spanish.
- Ohio Christmas Tree Producers Manual - Thinking of growing Christmas trees?, Ohio State University, 1991 - This online manual provides the necessary guidelines.
- Agroforestry Overview, Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA), NCAT, 2002 - Covers how operations can benefit from adding forestry operations to their existing production cycles.
- Mountain Star Farms, Woodsville, New Hampshire - This farm boasts an online shop for ordering ease.
- Tammen Treeberry Farm, Ag Marketing Resource Center, 2002 - This case study was written about a 50-acre Illinois farm that offers choose-and-cut Christmas trees and pick-your-own blueberries.
Links checked September 2013.