- FoodSearcher Tool
- Grains & Oilseeds
- Specialty Crops
Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) are the fourth most important food crop in the world and the leading vegetable crop in the United States. Together, Idaho and Washington produce more than half of the annual supply, which totaled 463 million cwt in 2012, up 8 percent from the previous year, and was valued at $3.73 billion. The average price for all potatoes decreased in 2012, while yield per acre increased. (NASS 2013).
Nearly 60 percent of potato sales are to processors for French fries, chips, dehydrated potatoes and other potato products. The remainder goes to the fresh market, is fed to farm animals or re-used as seed tubers for growing the next season’s crop. (NASS 2013) April 2014... Potatoes
- Canned Potatoes, Vegetables and Melons Outlook, Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA, 2009.
- Enhancing Producer Returns: United Potato Growers of America, ARE Update, University of California, 2008 - United Potato Growers of America, a federation of regional cooperatives, was formed in 2005 to stabilize and increase grower prices.
- Global Agricultural Trade System (GATS), Foreign Ag Service (FAS), USDA.
- Idaho Center for Potato Research and Education, University of Idaho.
- Idaho Potato Commission.
- International Potato Center.
- National Potato Council.
- North American Potato Market News.
- The Potato Association Of America.
- Potatoes, Vegetable and Pulses Outlook, ERS, USDA.
- Potatoes, Dole Reference Center Encyclopedia.
- Potatoes Annual Summary, National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), USDA.
- Specialty Potato Alliance - A group of fingerling potato growers and distributors, located throughout the United States, are committed to growing and packing the finest potatoes possible.
- United Potato Growers of America.
- United States Potato Board.
- Vegetables and Melons Yearbook Data, ERS, USDA.
- Florida Potato Crop/Pest Management Profile, 2008.
- Commercial Potato Production - Organic and Pesticide Free Production. Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives, Canada, 2003.
- Fresh Market Potatoes, Sample Cost of Production, University of California Cooperative Extension, 2008.
- Potato, Postharvest Technology Research and Information Center, University of California, Davis.
- Potato Education Guide website, University of Nebraska.
- Potato Information Exchange, Oregon State University.
- Canadian Potato Council
- Potatoes, Vegetable Research and Information Center, University of California Cooperative Extension.
- United States Standards for Grades of Potatoes, Ag Marketing Service, USDA, 2008.
- National Potato Council, 2013 Potato Statistical Yearbook.
- Okray Farms, Plover, Wisconsin - These farms have been raising potatoes for 100 years. This article profiles how their business has changed to meet consumer's changing needs and desires.
- Potatoes, The New American Farmer, Sustainable Agriculture and Research Education, NIFA, USDA - Describes two potato-growing operations in the United States.
- Royal Treatment, Rural Cooperatives magazine, USDA Rural Development, 2009 - Rhode Island farmers join forces to market RI Royal brand potatoes.
- Agri-Pulse, USDA Changes to WIC Program Leave Potatoes out of the Pot, 2014.
Links checked April 2014.