Avocados (Persea americana) are a fruit and not a vegetable. They are thought to have originated in Mexico and in Central and South America. Avocado trees were first planted in Florida in 1833 and then in California in 1856. According to NASS, California now accounts for the majority of U.S. avocado production, followed by Florida and Hawaii.
The value of U.S. avocado production increased from $479.1 million in 2010 to $492.1 million in 2011. The total volume amounted to 226,450 tons, an increase of more than 52,120 tons from 2010. According to NASS (2012), the California avocado crop jumped to 195,000 tons, while the Florida crop rose to 31,100 tons. The number of acres under production stabilized at 59,950, and the yield per acre dramatically increased to 3.8 tons. January 2013 ... Avocados
- Avocados: A Brief Introduction into the Complexities of an Agribusiness Sector, California Polytechnic State University, Santa Ana College and United Agribusiness League - This web tutorial focuses on a single commodity: California avocados.
- AvocadoSource.com - World production information, country links, research documents and on-line resources.
- California Avocado Commission - This trade organization positions California avocados for success in the marketplace. The site provides merchandising, media foodservice and retail training information or links; promotional campaigns; a business review news section; and information on international strategic partnerships.
- California Avocado Society - This trade organization has a weekly newsline, terminal prices, projected pricing movements and other information for packers and handlers.
- Florida Avocado, Portal to Florida-Agriculture.com, a state industry group - The site contains bulletins, industry information and brochures in Spanish and English.
- Florida Avocados, Marketing Orders, Fruit and Vegetable Programs, Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), USDA.
- Fruit and Tree Nuts Outlook, Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA.
- Fruit and Tree Nuts Yearbook, ERS, USDA, 2012.
- Hass Avocado Research and Promotion Programs, Fruit and Vegetable Programs, Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), USDA.
- Mexican Hass Avocado, Newsroom, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.
- Mission Produce - This Web site that covers production and marketing-related news, field representative reports, current agronomic conditions, weather updates and food market trends.
- Noncitrus Fruits and Nuts 2011 Summary, National Ag Statistics Service (NASS), USDA, 2012.
- Target Marketing - California Avocado Commission presentation on targeted marketing to grocery stores and other retailers.
- U.S. Government Printing Office: Avocados, U.S. Govt. Printing Office - Information on avocado production, marketing, standards, packaging, importation, etc.
- What's in a Name? The Avocado Story, National Public Radio, 2006.
- World, U.S. and Florida Avocado Situation and Outlook, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, 2005 - This article highlights the major trends and developments in the world, United States and Florida avocado industries from 1996 to 2005.
- Avocado, Center for New Crops and Plant Products, Purdue University.
- Avocado, Integrated Pest Management guidelines, University of California, Davis.
- Avocado, University of Hawaii Extension.
- Avocado Fruits, California Rare Fruit Growers.
- Avocado: Recommendations for Maintaining Postharvest Quality, California Avocado Commission
- Crop Profile for Avocados in Florida, 2008.
- Diversified Avocado Products - Mexican manufacturer of pureed avocado products. It includes an informative listing of food safety, packaging and other quality control specifications.
- Florida Avocado Production and Profitability Analysis, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, 2005.
- Florigin, Limited - British manufacturer of sliced-frozen, kosher and pureed avocado products imported from Mexico. This site has an informative listing of food safety, packaging and other quality control specifications.
- United States Is World’s Third Largest Avocado Producer, Fruit and Tree Nuts Outlook, Economic Research Service, USDA, 2006.
- Business.com Grower/Producer Listing - This is a listing of growers, packers and marketers of avocados for national and international distribution.
- Calavo Growers, Inc., Santa Paula, California - The company packs and markets about 40 percent of California's avocado crop.
- Index Fresh - This company incorporated in 1929 as a grower-owned cooperative. Avocados were introduced into the product line in the 1950s. As the industry began to flourish, avocados became Index’s primary product. In response to changes in the avocado industry, Index converted from a grower-owned cooperative to a grower-owned corporation in 1999.
Links checked September 2013.